In the K12 education sector, the focus for quite a while now, has been on learning in an enhanced, intuitive manner which helps with understanding and retention of a particular subject. For learners, it is important to grasp the essence of a topic, go in-depth with its understanding of the subjects and develop good retention, association and recall about those subjects. Creating exciting and interesting courses is now of paramount importance, and that is where gamified learning comes in. The K12 education sector is thought of by many as the most vital and significant period of learning phase for an individual and therefore, for this sector, gamified learning presents an opportunity to deliver education which remains relevant over the years and makes a difference in terms of enhanced engagement when imparting education.
Why Gamified Learning Works
Playing games is always a rewarding activity. In any scenario where a game-like situation is involved, there is the prospect of a challenge and a consequent reward when that challenge is surmounted. It has been found by researchers that this activity stimulates the body and mind and releases the endorphin hormone. Endorphins are essentially neurotransmitters and they make the mind more receptive and ready to accept, analyze and retain information of different kinds. Gamified learning makes use of this stimulus-response and makes learning a fun, engaging and immensely fulfilling experience for those in the K12 sector.
The Many Benefits of Gamified Learning
Gamified learning can be judiciously used to improve the quality of education imparted at the K12 level. It has a number of important benefits that make it one of the best routes to take while devising courses, curriculum and teaching methods. Here are a few important and resounding benefits –
- More Engagement for Learners – Gamified is essentially an “experience-based” learning process which has the power to fully engage and hold the attention of learners. It inspires a positive and conducive frame of mind about the learning process, and by forming the important association of particular pieces knowledge to particular rewarding or fulfilling experiences, enhances absorption and long-term memory.
- Fun and Interactive Learning – The interactive element present in gamified learning ensures that learners feel involved at all times. It brings the participation element to the table and ensures that learners become more invested towards the learning process. The immersive experience also makes things fun and exciting for learners.
- Better Absorption and Retention – By blending the release of endorphins with alternative, interesting ways of presenting information, gamified learning servers to dramatically enhance knowledge absorption and knowledge retention among learners. Not only do learners learn quicker and better, they are also able to easily retain and recall relevant knowledge when they need it later.
- Simulation-based Experience – In gamified learning applications, the environment is usually one of simulation where rewards come consistent with the performance. Better performances bring more rewards, and this inspires learners to try harder and put in more focused effort.
- A Better Learning Experience Overall – For the K12 sector, it is important that the knowledge imparted makes a lasting difference. With gamified learning, the whole learning experience receives a facelift. Learners can take advantage of the experience and situation-based learning to develop themselves better.