Technology and its advancements have become an integral part of modern lives. Dramatic revolution in mobile technology has made smartphones the most sought after technology of all time. Not even the industrial revolution had made such an impact at such a rapid pace. No industry has been left untouched by the impact of mobile revolution. Healthcare is no exception. There are a number of interesting mobile applications pertaining to healthcare and fitness industry. The remote monitoring device is one such example of the impact of mobile revolution on healthcare.
Remote monitoring devices record vital signs and electronically transmit them to your individualdoctor. Any abnormality, if detected, the doctor can reach the patient as soon as possible. Thus, technology has made healthcare providers more proactive and involved with patients’ health.
Since the use of the internet is fast penetrating all areas of peoples’ life, the need to make the stakeholders realize the benefits of mobile technology for healthcare Industry has also arisen.
How has technology disrupted the healthcare landscape?
Following are some of the areas in which mobile revolution has made deep impacts in the healthcare industry:
- Applications for Relapse prevention in Schizophrenia patients and using mobile technology for recording and gathering asthma data have made mobile phones the need of today in the healthcare industry.
- NICHE pilot study deals with the impact of mobile phone technology on type 2 diabetic patients’ self-management. This technology uses the internet and mobile phones to improve diabetic healthcare.
- Another application of mobile phones in diabetic care is the FTA(Few Touch Application). It uses a diabetes diary in mobile phones to provide support to the diabetic patient for managing sugar levels.
- Headache is yet another area where patients can use mobile applications to help themselves. However, types and intensity of headaches vary from person to person. So you cannot be sure about the use of mobile technology in treating headaches, but in the long run, this application would be very useful for the people.
- The automated speech recognition for time recording is a medical treatment in an emergency due to unavailability of medical facilities.
- Mobile phones can also be used during treatment of mental disorders as they are utilized in the therapeutic sessions by psychiatrists.
- Intelligent biomedical clothing for disease management that revolutionized medical treatments is also a part of the mobile phone revolution.
- A number of fitness apps have also come into the market providing health tips and fitness hacks to the people. Some apps send regular notifications to the users prompting them to follow a better diet plan and routine than their existing one. These fitness apps can even be customized according to users’ needs and demands.
- Mobile Apps can now also be used by patients to book appointments with doctors, schedule lab tests, access their reports online. This has introduced more transparency in a patient’s interaction with the doctor.
- Mobile Technology has made best medical facilities accessible for patients located in distant or rural areas also.
In a nutshell, mobile applications have opened up new avenues in personalized healthcare, disease management and an improved way of communication between the patient and health care provider.
Thus, there has been an enormous impact of the mobile revolution on the healthcare industry and this advancement in mobile technology is still to continue and may produce even better results.