Mind Blowing Facts About Big Data
We have been seeing a lot of hype surrounding big data but we believe Big Data paints a much bigger picture than what we perceive and the following facts will help to paint a realistic picture of the phenomenon, a phenomenon that is changing the world as we know it.
1. Every 2 days we create as much information as we did from the beginning of time until 2003 .
2. Over 90% of all the data in the world was created in the past 4 years.
3. It is expected that by 2020 the amount of digital information in existence will have grown from 3.2 zettabytes today to 40 zetabytes.
4. The total amount of data being captured and stored by industry doubles every 1.2 years .
5. Every minute we send 204 million emails, generate 1,8 million Facebook likes, send 278 thousand Tweets, and up-load 200 thousand photos to Facebook .
6. Google alone processes on average over 40 thousand search queries per second, making it over 3.5 billion in a single day.
7. Around 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute and it would take you around 15 years to watch every video uploaded by users in one day.
8. Facebook users share 30 billion pieces of content between them every day.
9. If you burned all of the data created in just one day onto DVDs, you could stack them on top of each other and reach the moon – twice.
10. AT&T is thought to hold the world’s largest volume of data in one unique database – its phone records database is 312 terabytes in size, and contains almost 2 trillion rows.
11. 570 new websites spring into existence every minute of every day.
12. The boom of the Internet of Things will mean that the amount of devices that connect to the Internet will rise from about 13 billion today to 50 billion by 2020.
13. Big data has been used to predict crimes before they happen – a “predictive policing” trial in California was able to identify areas where crime will occur three times more accurately than existing methods of forecasting.
Big Data is Big, literally and figuratively. Its implementation can save your business huge losses and lead your firm towards a data friendly future.